Doing well in this year’s World Triathlon Championship Series (WTCS) suddenly became a lot more lucrative as World Triathlon just announced that its executive board has approved US$750,000 in bonus pool prize money for the series. That will increase to US$1 million next year.
Thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic the season has been shortened and will include just five events:
- World Triathlon Championships Yokohama (1000 points for the winner)
- World Triathlon Championships Leeds (1000 points for the winner)
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games (1000 points for the winner)
- World Triathlon Championships Montreal (1000 points for the winner)
- World Triathlon Championship Finals Edmonton (1250 points for the winner)
The points are decreased by 7.5% for each position, and the final points standing will be based on the sum of the athlete’s best three races.
The three WTCS races that take place after the Championship Finals in Edmonton, Hamburg, Bermuda and Abu Dhabi, will count towards the 2022 season.