Last December we reported on an exciting new race that would be offering significant prize money – the Couples Championship. The man behind the race is Ben Atkins from Waterfall Bank. (We recently wrote about him – he, and the bank, are sponsoring Heather Jackson’s bike this year.) The event takes place this Sunday and, with just a few days to go before the race, here are some details on what to expect.
How to watch:
The event will be streamed live on Facebook. For those who didn’t sign up for the early-bird discount, the price will be US$9.99. You can register for the live stream here.
Where is it taking place:
Fort De Soto Park, Tierra Verde, Florida
This has turned into one of the most lucrative events of the year. The winning couple takes home $100,000, and each couple is given a $10,000 appearance fee.
Who is eligible:
Couples must have been together for at least six months to be eligible.
Who is racing:
Originally it appeared that the standout favorites for the race would be World Triathlon stars Vincent Luis and Taylor Spivey, but in the end they are not competing this weekend. From the event website, here’s a list of the couples racing this weekend:
- Ashleigh Gentle and Josh Amberger
- Jess Broderick and Jason West
- Emma Pallant-Browne and Jaryd Browne
- Mirinda Carfrae and Tim O’Donnell
- Marjolaine Pierre and Clement Mignon
- Paula Findlay and Eric Lagerstrom
- Kirsten Kasper and Matt Sharpe
- Samantha Kingsford and Sam Osborne
- Rachel Klamer and Richard Murray
- Rachel Olson and Andre Lopes
- Vittoria Lopes and Danilo Pimentel
- Jeanni Metzler and Justin Metzler
- Roksana Slupek and Seth Rider
- Non Stanford and Aaron Royle
There will also be a “Charity Trio” relay team including three-time Olympic champion Brooke Bennett, former pro cyclist Phil Gaimon and 2016 Olympic triathlon gold medalist Gwen Jorgensen. Organizers will donate $10,000 to charity for every couple who beats the charity trio.
Each couple will complete a 400 m swim, 16 km bike and a 5 km run.
Who is commentating:
Heather Jackson and Greg Bennett